Friday, March 8, 2013

Violence in Video Games

We see it all the time, teenagers and children playing violent video games where the point is to kill as many people or break as many laws as possible (if either of these can be considered a point). Some say that violent video games are a gateway to real violence, but others argue that the games are for pure enjoyment or letting off steam. I can understand how someone may think that a violent video game could cause someone to act violent towards society sooner or later, but I don;t believe that it is video games alone that would cause someone to follow the route to violence. I know from experience that video games with violence are helpful in letting go of some of the daily pressures people have put on them; I think that it is possible that killing a blob of pixels can keep the most stressed out person from wanting to kill another person. Video games aren't ever the only reason someone resorts to actual violence; I believe that many other things are built up, for examples, abuse and harrassment. 
Although I see video games as nothing put fun and stress relief, I would have to agree that age limitations should be placed on the more inappropriate/violent games. Tens year olds should by no means be playing Grand Theft Auto. I wish that all parents were a little more strict about giving their children only the games that are apropriate for their age.


No comments:

Post a Comment