Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Welfare


The intention with welfare is to aid people in need. As an eye witness, I know that, unfortunately, the welfare system is all too often corrupted. I don’t disagree with the idea of helping people; there are many people in the country that deserve or desperately need help. What I do disagree with, however, is the system; there are so many ways to, well, beat the system. There are many people taking advantage of the money that comes from the hardworking and deserving, people who actually work for their money.
When I think of welfare, I think of the people I see pulling out their welfare cards to purchase soda, candy, chips, and any other junk food. One experience that infuriated me was when I was in a grocery store, and in the check-out line was a man with a cart full of Mountain Dew. The cashier told him it would be cheaper to purchase the two liter bottles instead of his six packs of bottles. He replied, “I don’t care,” and whipped out his welfare card to pay for the groceries. This sort of behavior is uncalled for, and this is only part of it; there is also a lot of fraud. I don’t want to get into how corrupt the system is, but I do know how to fix it.
To fix it would take starting from scratch. People on welfare would have to prove they have ambition. They will be put to work doing public cleanups or any job that needs to be done, if they do not already have a job of their own. In this welfare program you will need to work for the money when work needs to be done. There won’t be welfare cards; instead there will be welfare coupons good for meat, potatoes, bread, fruits and vegetables, and milk. Some argue that this brings embarrassment, and if that’s the case, I say, “good.” Good, because one more embarrassed person on welfare is one more person that will work their hardest to get off it. People should be helped but they shouldn’t be spoon fed the way they are now on our current system. Right now, welfare sucks; it sucks the money right out of the pockets of the hardworking people in this country of ours.


  







No comments:

Post a Comment